Are You Struggling to Lose Weight? PhenQ a premium weight loss supplement might help you to finally secure your ideal weight.
Chances are huge that you recently started following a weight loss plan or did so in the past. You were committed, focused, and energetic to shed some pounds.
The first few weeks showed signs of improvement and you have lost some weight. You are even more excited and have started to follow the plan even more religiously.
But what’s that? After a few initial weeks of success, you are not seeing any more progress. You are doing everything the same way as before. You are following a strict diet, you’re hitting the gym, and drinking tons of water to keep hydrated.
What went wrong? You are perplexed and can’t make any sense of it.
Does this sound familiar?
It seems you have hit the ‘weight loss plateau’. Here is what that means.
During the initial periods of your weight loss journey, your body loses a lot of glycogen- the storage form of carbohydrates. Glycogen represents major storage of water as well. As a result, when you lose glycogen, you lose a lot of water as well.
In simple terms, most of the weight loss during the first weeks is purely due to the loss of water.
This fact has been looked into by research studies as well. Researchers compared the effects of different types of weight loss strategies on the composition of weight loss. Strikingly, up to 60 percent of the initial weight loss is due to water loss (1).
If that’s what you are facing then you are not alone in this struggle. Most of the weight loss aspirants struggle after the initial ‘honeymoon period’.
What’s the solution?
The solution is to push your metabolism into hyper-drive to switch on fat loss. You won’t achieve a sustainable weight loss until you switch on the body processes leading to fat burning and less fat synthesis.
That’s what PhenQ can help you with!
PhenQ is a propriety blend of hand-picked, intensively researched, and highly potent weight loss ingredients. These ingredients are used in the right amounts to help you conquer your weight loss plateau.
This article is an honest review of PhenQ and the science behind it. It will answer all the questions you might have in mind about this product.
Let’s get to it.
What is PhenQ? – Dissecting the Product!
If you have made through this far reading this article then rest assured! This is not an ordinary article.
We will dissect this product ingredient-by-ingredient and will give an unbiased opinion based on research.
So sit tight and let’s start with the basics.
Here is what the official PhenQ website claims about its ingredients and their benefits.
|α-LACYS RESET® (a blend of ALA (Alpha Lipoic Acid) and Cysteine)||α-Lacys Reset® accelerates thermogenesis and gives a boost to the metabolism.|
|Capsimax powder (a blend of capsicum, piperine, caffeine, and niacin (vitamin b3))||This combination also helps improve metabolism and triggers weight loss through thermogenesis.|
|Chromium picolinate||Promotes weight loss by reducing cravings for sugar and by promoting sugar metabolism.|
|Caffeine||Caffeine promotes metabolism, triggers thermogenesis, and reduces appetite.|
|Nopal||It is high in fiber and protein. It aids in weight loss by reducing water build-up, fat content, and appetite.|
|L-carnitine fumarate||It stimulates weight loss by helping convert fat into energy.|
Top 6 Ways PhenQ Helps You Achieve Weight Loss
Here are the top 6 ways PhenQ helps you realize your weight loss dreams.
#1: PhenQ Gives You a Metabolic Boost by Inducing Thermogenesis
Thermogenesis means heat production inside your body.
Here is how thermogenesis is related to your weight loss efforts.
Results of Canadian research have shown that there are two types of thermogenesis: obligatory and facultative thermogenesis (2).
In obligatory thermogenesis, the body produces heat as a result of routine body processes like digestion, respiration, and so on.
Facultative thermogenesis is a type of inducible thermogenesis. It can be induced or suppressed by your body and can be used as a means of caloric expenditure.
Like a car uses fuel to work, facultative thermogenesis produces heat using your body’s energy stores. The energy comes from stores like glycogen and fat.
This is how inducible or facultative thermogenesis can help you improve metabolism and burn more calories.
Diet-induced thermogenesis represents 15 percent of the total Resting Metabolic Rate (RMR) in lean individuals. This level falls to 8 percent in overweight individuals (3, 4).
Studies have shown that even a single dose of a thermogenic supplement can cause a dramatic increase in the RMR. What’s more is that RMR remains elevated even 3 hours after the consumption of thermogenic supplements (5, 6).
The increase in RMR following the ingestion of thermogenic supplements can increase up to 9 percent. The increase in RMR is highest up to 180 minutes following the use of a thermogenic supplement (5, 6).
PhenQ is a combination of potent thermogenic ingredients. These include α-Lacys Reset® (a blend of ALA and Cysteine), Capsimax powder (a blend of capsicum, piperine, caffeine, and niacin (vitamin b3)), caffeine, and L-carnitine.
#2: PhenQ Promotes Sugar Metabolism
Sugar consumption can lead to weight gain in direct and indirect ways.
The direct pathway includes the effects of sugars (including fructose-based beverages, sucrose, etc.) on your liver.
When you consume a high-sugar diet, the majority of the sugar makes its way to your liver. Inside the liver, this sugar triggers several biochemical processes. These include increased lipid accumulation, increased liver fat content, and increased insulin resistance (7).
Indirectly, the sugar in your food can trigger fat generation pathways as well. This leads to obesity (7).
These direct and indirect pathways of sugar action make you prone to weight gain, type 2 diabetes, liver impairment, and put you at increased risk of cardiovascular disease (7).
Ingredients that promote sugar metabolism and reduce insulin resistance are one plausible weight loss targets. PhenQ uses Chromium picolinate as one such ingredient.
#3: It Curbs Appetite by Promoting a Balance of Hunger Hormones
Your eating habits are largely controlled by ‘hunger hormones’. A lot of hormones are included in this category but leptin and ghrelin are the major players.
Leptin is a hormone released by the fat cells and intestines. It helps to reduce your appetite. Ghrelin, on the other hand, is released by your stomach and intestine that increases appetite (8).
An imbalance in these hormones, that is, a decrease in the levels of leptin and an increase in the levels of ghrelin leads to increased food consumption and obesity.
Bringing this imbalance back to order is one potential way to promote weight loss.
PhenQ achieves the balance of hunger hormones through a mix of ingredients including caffeine, chromium, and nopal.
#4: PhenQ Reduces Water Retention
As explained before, the loss of water represents an important aspect of weight loss.
Due to high fiber content, Nopal in PhenQ helps you flush out the excess fluid out of your body (9).
#5: By Triggering Fat Metabolism and Reducing Fat Build-up
When it comes to weight loss, the reduction in your body fat results from two main mechanisms. The first includes an increased fat breakdown by inducing fat oxidation and lipolysis. The second method includes a reduction in the amount of fat build-up in the body (10).
PhenQ targets both these mechanisms through ingredients like α-Lacys Reset®, capsimax, caffeine, nopal, and L-carnitine.
#6: PhenQ Helps Improve Your Mood
Most of the people undergo through a roller-coaster of emotions when they embark on a weight loss journey.
You can’t expect to lose weight if you are depressed, anxious, and feeling low. Studies have shown that a positive psychological outlook is associated with improved weight loss outcomes as well (11).
PhenQ improves your psychological well-being and keeps you motivated to lose weight through the blend of its ingredients like chromium.
What Does Research Say About PhenQ Ingredients?
Here is a quick overview of the research findings connecting PhenQ ingredients to weight loss.
- α-LACYS RESET®
Alpha Lipoic Acid (ALA) is the main active ingredient in α-Lacys Reset®.
Results of a meta-analysis at Yale University U.S. showed that ALA leads to a statistically significant weight loss due to its effects on improving metabolism, reducing insulin resistance, and inhibiting inflammation (12).
- Capsimax powder
Capsimax powder is a blend of capsicum, piperine, caffeine, and niacin.
The active weight loss ingredient in capsicum is capsaicinoids. Results of a British meta-analysis showed that consuming capsicum on a daily basis can reduce the daily caloric intake by 310 Kcal (13). Another meta-analysis has explored the thermogenic potential of capsicum and has suggested that daily consumption can increase the baseline energy expenditure by 130 Kcal/day (14).
Piperine is a weight loss ingredient derived from black pepper. It also promotes weight loss directly by promoting metabolism. In addition, it has indirect effects as it potentiates the action of capsaicinoids as well (15, 16).
The effects of niacin on human weight loss are still under review. However, the results of preliminary studies have shown that niacin supplementation can lead to increased fat metabolism. In addition, it has also been found to increase the levels of adiponectin, which is another hunger hormone that inhibits feeding (17).
- Chromium picolinate
Results of a British meta-analysis found that the use of Chromium picolinate is associated with an average 1.1 kg reduction in body weight (18).
The effects of chromium on weight loss are due to its ability to promote lipid and sugar metabolism and improve insulin sensitivity (19, 20).
Result of a comprehensive meta-analysis looked into the effects of caffeine intake on weight loss. The meta-analysis found that the every 2 folds increase in the intake of caffeine can lead to a substantial 26 percent, 17 percent, and 28 percent reduction in body weight, BMI, and fat mass respectively (21).
Nopal is a common Spanish name for Opuntia cacti. It is famous for weight loss due to its high fiber content.
A meta-analysis studied the effects of cactus fiber on the fecal fat excretion. The fat excretion increased to 16 percent with the use of nopal compared to 4.5 percent in placebo (22).
Nopal, due to its high fiber content, sequesters a lot of water from your body and makes you feel less hungry.
- L-carnitine fumarate
A meta-analysis on the effects of L-carnitine on weight loss suggests that it can lead to up to 7 percent reduction in body weight (23, 24).
The main mechanisms through which L-carnitine brings about its weight loss effects include its ability to reduce blood sugar levels, induce fat oxidation, and improve overall metabolism (23, 24).
What are Other Health Benefits of PhenQ?
Other potential health benefits of the PhenQ ingredients are summarized as follows:
|Ingredients||Potential Health Benefits|
|α-LACYS RESET®||ALA is a potent antioxidant, anti-inflammatory substance, helps against diabetic polyneuropathy, improves blood sugar control, aids in improving vascular health, reduces blood pressure, improves hormonal health and potentiates immune health (25, 26).|
|Capsimax powder||Capsicum has antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, anti-diabetic, immune stimulating, and cardiovascular health benefits (27). Niacin has immense cardiovascular health benefits. It reduces LDL cholesterol and increases HDL cholesterol. It improves gut-related health and brain health as well (28).|
|Chromium picolinate||In addition to positively affecting weight loss, chromium also affects insulin sensitivity and reduces the risk of Type 2 diabetes. In addition, it improves lipid metabolism and reduces the amount of bad cholesterol (29, 30)|
|Caffeine||Caffeine has neuro-stimulating properties. It improves alertness and improves concentration. When used with caution, it improves physical performance and positively influences cardiovascular, metabolic, and hormonal health (31).|
|Nopal||Nopal, due to its fiber content, improves gut health and promotes the balance of microbiota. In addition, it positively influences the cardiovascular health and improves metabolic health as well (32).|
|L-carnitine fumarate||It is a type of amino acid. It enhances physical and athletic performance, improves cardiovascular health, has anti-aging potential, aids in correcting metabolic health, stimulates the immune system, and helps against cancer and similar immune-related conditions (33).|
Is PhenQ Safe to Use?
The makers of PhenQ claim that PhenQ is derived from 100% natural products with a superior safety profile. Being naturally sourced, the chances of major side effects with the use of PhenQ are quite unlikely.
However, like any other drug or supplement, you might experience some side effects with the use of PhenQ. These might include:
- Gastrointestinal side effects like stomach upset, reflux, abdominal pain, bloating, diarrhea, nausea, and vomiting.
- Headache, dizziness, confusion, drowsiness.
- Changes in blood pressure and racing of heartbeat.
What Kind of Experience Do Users Have With the Use of PhenQ?
PhenQ has not been used in a randomized controlled trial or a clinical review. So it is difficult to ascertain the kind of experience users had with this product.
The best guess is assessing the safety and user experience with the main ingredients.
In one meta-analysis, the use of ALA showed excellent safety profile and the users generally had good tolerability. The only side effects reported were gastrointestinal side effects (34).
Likewise, the user safety profile of chromium, fiber, and capsicum is also excellent and the only side effects experienced were gastrointestinal side effects (22, 35).
Caffeine has a good safety profile when used at lower doses. At higher doses, however, caffeine increases cardiovascular side effects like increased heart rate, arrhythmia, sleep disturbance, and increased blood pressure (36).
Who is Not Suitable to Take PhenQ?
PhenQ is a safe product. However, you should avoid using this product, if you are
- Suffering from an illness requiring medical attention
- Using medication that might interact with the ingredients used in PhenQ
To sum up, PhenQ is a potent blend of highly active and safe ingredients that are clinically proven to help you lose weight.
Be sure to combine Phenq with a balanced diet and active lifestyle. You can order Phenq in their official webshop with a 60 day money back guarantee. PhenQ delivers straight to the consumer to keep the price as low as possible. At the moment of writing, they even offer an up to 54% discount! Of course, we hope that the discount is still available at the moment you read this, but we cannot give you guarantees.
By clicking on this link you will go their official webshop and be able to get PhenQ at the highest possible discount.
- M U Yang, et al. Composition of weight lost during short-term weight reduction. Metabolic responses of obese subjects to starvation and low-calorie ketogenic and nonketogenic diets. J Clin Invest. 1976 Sep; 58(3): 722–730.
- Himms-Hagen J. Role of thermogenesis in the regulation of energy balance in relation to obesity. Can J Physiol Pharmacol. 1989 Apr;67(4):394-401.
- Klaas R Westerterp. Diet induced thermogenesis. Nutr Metab (Lond). 2004; 1: 5.
- Schutz Y, et al. Diet-induced thermogenesis measured over a whole day in obese and nonobese women. Am J Clin Nutr. 1984 Sep;40(3):542-52.
- Bill I. Campbell, et al. The effects of a fat loss supplement on resting metabolic rate and hemodynamic variables in resistance trained males: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, cross-over trial. J Int Soc Sports Nutr. 2016; 13: 14.
- Gina Zito, et al. The effects of a fat loss supplement on resting metabolic rate and hemodynamic variables in healthy females: preliminary results. J Int Soc Sports Nutr. 2014; 11(Suppl 1): P1.
- Kimber L. Stanhope. Sugar consumption, metabolic disease and obesity: The state of the controversy. Crit Rev Clin Lab Sci. 2016 Feb; 53(1): 52–67.
- Juliana Austin, et al. Hormonal Regulators of Appetite. Int J Pediatr Endocrinol. 2009; 2009: 141753.
- Chengquan Tan, et al. Effects of dietary fibers with high water-binding capacity and swelling capacity on gastrointestinal functions, food intake and body weight in male rats. Food Nutr Res. 2017; 61(1): 1308118.
- Chung S. Yang, et al. Mechanisms of Body Weight Reduction and Metabolic Syndrome Alleviation by Tea. Mol Nutr Food Res. 2016 Jan; 60(1): 160–174.
- Wing RR, et al. Mood changes in behavioral weight loss programs. J Psychosom Res. 1984;28(3):189-96.
- Suat Kucukgoncu, et al. Alpha-Lipoic Acid (ALA) as a supplementation for weight loss: Results from a Meta-Analysis of Randomized Controlled Trials. Obes Rev. 2017 May; 18(5): 594–601.
- Whiting S, et al. Could capsaicinoids help to support weight management? A systematic review and meta-analysis of energy intake data. Appetite. 2014 Feb;73:183-8. doi: 10.1016/j.appet.2013.11.005. Epub 2013 Nov 15.
- Mary-Jon Ludy, et al. The Effects of Capsaicin and Capsiate on Energy Balance: Critical Review and Meta-analyses of Studies in Humans. Chem Senses. 2012 Feb; 37(2): 103–121.
- Fergal N McNamara, et al. Effects of piperine, the pungent component of black pepper, at the human vanilloid receptor (TRPV1). Br J Pharmacol. 2005 Mar; 144(6): 781–790.
- Nami Kim, et al. Piperine regulates UCP1 through the AMPK pathway by generating intracellular lactate production in muscle cells. Sci Rep. 2017; 7: 41066.
- Desiree wanders, et al. Niacin Increases Adiponectin and Decreases Adipose Tissue Inflammation in High Fat Diet-Fed Mice. PLoS One. 2013; 8(8): e71285.
- Cefalu WT, et al. Oral chromium picolinate improves carbohydrate and lipid metabolism and enhances skeletal muscle Glut-4 translocation in obese, hyperinsulinemic (JCR-LA corpulent) rats. J Nutr. 2002 Jun;132(6):1107-14.
- A scientific review: the role of chromium in insulin resistance. Diabetes Educ. 2004;Suppl:2-14.
- Pittler MH, et al. Chromium picolinate for reducing body weight: meta-analysis of randomized trials. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 2003 Apr;27(4):522-9.
- Tabrizi R, et al. The effects of caffeine intake on weight loss: a systematic review and dos-response meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr. 2018 Oct 18:1-9. doi: 10.1080/10408398.2018.1507996.
- Ralf Uebelhack, et al. Effects of Cactus Fiber on the Excretion of Dietary Fat in Healthy Subjects: A Double Blind, Randomized, Placebo-Controlled, Crossover Clinical Investigation. Curr Ther Res Clin Exp. 2014 Dec; 76: 39–44.
- Swati Jain, et al. Effect of l-carnitine Supplementation on Nutritional Status and Physical Performance Under Calorie Restriction. Indian J Clin Biochem. 2015 Apr; 30(2): 187–193.
- Pooyandjoo M, et al. The effect of (L-)carnitine on weight loss in adults: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Obes Rev. 2016 Oct;17(10):970-6. doi: 10.1111/obr.12436. Epub 2016 Jun 22.
- Maryam Akbari, et al. The effects of alpha-lipoic acid supplementation on inflammatory markers among patients with metabolic syndrome and related disorders: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Nutr Metab (Lond). 2018; 15: 39.
- Kate Petersen Shay, et al. Alpha-lipoic acid as a dietary supplement: Molecular mechanisms and therapeutic potential. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2009 Oct; 1790(10): 1149–1160.
- Mark F McCarty, et al. Capsaicin may have important potential for promoting vascular and metabolic health. Open Heart. 2015; 2(1): e000262.
- Guruprasad R. Pattar, et al. Chromium picolinate positively influences the glucose transporter system via affecting cholesterol homeostasis in adipocytes cultured under hyperglycemic diabetic conditions. Mutat Res. 2006 Nov 7; 610(1-2): 93–100.
- Anderson JW, et al. Health benefits of dietary fiber. Nutr Rev. 2009 Apr;67(4):188-205. doi: 10.1111/j.1753-4887.2009.00189.x.
- T Han, J Bai, et al. A systematic review and meta-analysis of alpha-lipoic acid in the treatment of diabetic peripheral neuropathy. York (UK): Centre for Reviews and Dissemination (UK); 1995.
- Suksomboon N, et al. Systematic review and meta-analysis of the efficacy and safety of chromium supplementation in diabetes. J Clin Pharm Ther. 2014 Jun;39(3):292-306. doi: 10.1111/jcpt.12147. Epub 2014 Mar 17.
- Jennifer L. Temple, et al. The Safety of Ingested Caffeine: A Comprehensive Review. Front Psychiatry. 2017; 8: 80.