Best Buttercream Frosting
- 1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine softened
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (use clear vanilla if you want a white frosting)
- 4 cups powdered sugar (approximately 1 lb.)
- Approximately 2 tablespoons milk
Step 1In large bowl, cream shortening and butter with electric mixer. Add vanilla. Gradually add sugar, one cup at a time, beating well on medium speed. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl often. When all sugar has been mixed in, icing will appear dry. Add milk and beat at medium speed until light and fluffy. Keep bowl covered with a damp cloth until ready to use.
Make sure your butter is SOFTENED. Leave it at room temperature to achieve this. It does not work well if you soften in the microwave.
Add the powdered sugar gradually. And make sure it is well incorporated before you add the liquid ingredients to avoid clumps.
I like to LINK at these parties!