I love to make my kids birthday cakes, the thing is, I am NOT a cake decorator, so my cakes usually end up pretty fun, but not to perfect or fancy!
I made this farm cake for my little man's second birthday. I am a sucker for barn animals, and I think it turned out kind of fun.
I took the idea from Family Fun. However I made my barn flat to the ground, because I was nervous it would fall. I just made a cake in an 8 x 11 inch pan, and cut it into a barn shape. I used graham crackers for the 'doors' and 'roof', and coconut for the 'hay'. The instructions for the baby animal cupcakes are on Family fun!
Here are some basic Cake Making Tips:
- Use Wilton Food coloring, it turns out so much better.
- To coat the bottom of a cake pan, use a paper towel, dip into shortening and cover the ENTIRE inside of the pan. Then coat with flour.
- Never refrigerate your frosting... it will become to hard to frost.
- If you are a novice like me, do not expect for perfection go for cute and fun.
- If you had a bad confection mishap, visit Cake Wrecks, it will make you feel better--I promise!
I like to Link at these great parties!